Every organisation is unique, staff roles vary and people have their own individual learning needs. That is why, at SEA Recruitment Services, we tailor courses to suit the needs of your organisation and the individuals within it.
All courses are tailor-made. You are able to choose from the Modules listed below the areas of learning which best fit the staff group to be trained, their working environment and the needs of the organisation as a whole taking into account any prior learning.
If there is a particular area that is not covered, we would be happy to discuss that with you.
The courses are facilitated by Trainers who are Deaf themselves.
BASIC AIMS OF ALL COURSES
- To provide a broad understanding of the causes, categories and issues faced by deaf people
- To know practical ways in which people can improve access, quality of life, independence and dignity of deaf people
- Recognise inappropriate and discriminatory behaviour and language in their own and/ or colleagues approach to people who are deaf
- Be able to make and/ or suggest changes to the environment to ensure that access for deaf people is improved.
- Basic Deaf Awareness including different types of deafness
- How to recognize deafness and respond appropriately
- Causes and incidence of deafness
- Correct terminology
- How to ensure your services are fully accessible for Deaf Customers
- Effective communication tactics
- Textphones and how to use them
- Guide to Useful Equipment /Environmental aids to communication
- Guide to Human Aids to Communication (lipspeakers, notetakers, BSL interpreters etc)
- Sign Language Interpreters (how to book, use appropriately etc)
- Basic Workplace Survival Signs and fingerspelling
- Lipreading awareness and group exercises
- Disability Discrimination Act and Deafness
- BSL, the Deaf Community and Deaf Culture
- The impact of deafness in later life
- Working with a Deaf colleague
- Improving Reception Services for deaf people
- Guide to some of the Services available for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People
- £275 per half day session
- £500 per full day session