We are able to offer expertise in assessing families and individuals who are Deaf. We have a number of assessors who are able to offer specialist independent assessments. All our Social Workers are fluent sign language users and therefore there is no need to have an interpreter present. We are also aware of the cultural norms within the Deaf community and assessments always take this into account.
Our assessors have worked in several local authorities in North West England at both practitioner and managerial level and have extensive experience of assessing families when an independent viewpoint is requested by a Local Authority, the court or solicitors. Assessments are carried out by fully qualified Social Workers specialising in family and children issues, including child protection.
- Parenting assessments where one or both parents are Deaf.
- Assessments of the needs of Deaf children
- Assessments of Deaf people who have learning disability using the Sue McGraw PAMS assessment model.
- Preparation of Form F assessments
- Relative carers/kinship assessments
- Independent investigation of complaints
We offer value for money and all assessments are appropriate and cost effective as you will not be paying for interpreting costs.
Working independently, all our individuals are fully insured and receive independent mentoring. That means that all activities and decisions are appraised by other independent social workers on a regular basis. All our assessors are;
- Registered with the General Social Care Council.
- Members of B.A.S.W.
- Current CRB checks.
- Fully Insured
- Fluent British Sign Language Users
Parenting skills training for deaf parents
Parenting packages are tailor made according to the needs of the Deaf parent(s)
Areas covered can include:
- Setting Boundaries and Discipline
- Encouragement and Play
- Child Development and Sensible Expectations
- How to communicate effectively with children
- Emotional Needs of Children
Parenting can be arranged on a one to one basis or for groups of Deaf Parents.
All training will be delivered in BSL and take into account the Cultural and Linguistic needs of the Deaf parents. All the written material is “Deaf – Friendly”. Visual aids and pictures are used. We can do an assessment of the priority areas that need to be developed before the delivery of the parenting skills training begins.